The leadership of Concerned Voters Movement(CVM) fully support and commends the authorities of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology(KNUST) for converting all single sex halls in the University to mix halls.
This laudable decision by the leadership of KNUST will help to:
1. Promote Gender Equality.
2. Avoid discrimination against female students.
3. Create easy access to accommodation for the increased female students on campus since female enrollment has increased from 20% to 38% this year.
4. Strengthen Educational Empowerment to Women.
5. Increasingly project enrollment of female students in the University.
6. Promote the new culture of Discipline, higher students ethics, respect for human dignity and integrity amongst male students in the University.
The foolish acts of walking naked with the display of their penis and buttocks will cease.
We would like to commend Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh, Minster of Education, Professor Kwesi Yankah, Minister of State in charge of Tertiary Education, Ministry of Education and President Akufo-Addo Government for supporting the leadership of KNUST in their quest of championing the empowerment and enrollment of Female Students in the University.
All of us have a common duty to say BIG NO to discrimination against female students on our University Campuses.
The University is an autonomous body and we are fully confident that the Government of President Akufo-Addo will not interfere this wonderful decision by the authorities of KNUST.
Which Article of the 1992 Constitution states that Single Sex Halls cannot be converted to Mix Halls?
Which Provisions in the Act of Parliament(Act 559 of 1998) states that Single Sex Halls in KNUST are inconvertible?
It is very surprising when married men sharing the same rooms/House with their wives and daughters kicking against the Conversion of Single Sex Halls to Mix Halls.
It is equally annoying when male unmarried students sharing the same hostels and rented rooms with their girlfriends complaining about the Conversion of Single Sex Halls to Mix Halls.
Razak Kojo Opoku
(CVM Founder and President)