“The State House would like to confirm that President Kikwete is as concerned about the political and security situation in Zanzibar as every Tanzanian,” said a statement issued by the directorate of presidential communication in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam.
The statement added: “The President has been working tirelessly and consulting widely over the last few days to find amicable and peaceful resolution to the situation in Zanzibar.”
The political stand-off in Zanzibar started on Wednesday after the Zanzibar electoral body announced the nullification of elections in the archipelago saying the polls were faced with irregularities.
Jecha Salum Jecha, the chairman of the Zanzibar Electoral Commission (ZEC), said the elections which were held on October 25 were nullified following breach of electoral laws and regulations.
The statement by the east African nation’s State House said it had learnt with regret claims by the secretary general of Zanzibar’s leading opposition Civic United Front (CUF), Seif Sharif Hamad that he had been ignored and his request for an appointment with President Kikwete to discuss the political situation in Zanzibar was turned down.
Following the announcement by ZEC to nullify the elections, the international community appealed to ZEC to resume and complete the tallying and announcement of vote results swiftly.
The two political parties, as members of the government of national unity of Zanzibar, should make every effort to preserve the democratic and economic gains acquired following many years of effort, said a statement by the European Union (EU) delegation in Tanzania.
On Thursday, international election observers joined the governments of the United States and Britain calling on the ZEC to resume the election results tabulation process without delay. Enditem