A former Director-General of the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), Ernest Thompson and four others, have been charged with wilfully causing financial loss to the state.
• Slowly but surely, we have started with the prosecution of corrupt former government officials.
• This particular case is in relation to the over 140 million dollar Operating Business Suite (OBS) contract entered into and executed during his tenure as head of SSNIT.
• The accused persons allegedly contributed to the state losing millions of dollars over the SSNIT OBS software. They have all pleaded not guilty to the charges.
• In August 2017 about 15 people appeared before the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) as witnesses in the matter.
• SSNIT also contracted PricewaterhouseCoopers to conduct an audit of the contract.
• Amidst the controversy, it emerged that Caleb Afaglo, who was appointed in 2015, did not hold the right qualifications.
• He was interdicted by the management of the Trust over suspicions that his Bachelors’, Masters’ and Doctorate degrees were fake.
• EOCO conducted raids in his house, seized his passport and froze his bank account to commence investigations into his qualifications.